Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

Always carry a spare.
Read the tags on nice clothes before washing.
Eat a good breakfast every morning.
Milk goes bad left out.
You can’t change the way boys act.
Microwaving leftovers leads to soggy results.
Vaseline will make it better.
Less is always more.
It’s okay to say no.

You are the most important person in your world.
Your body’s not going to look like this forever,
Take care of it.
Never trust a boy with a condom in his wallet on the first date.
Bread needs time to rise.
We are not mind readers;
Tell us what you’re thinking.
Read the newspaper often.
Ask questions, a lot of questions.
It’s okay to say no.

Addictions are addictive—really.
Push your limits, but set boundaries.
Accept change as it comes,
And embrace change as it goes.
If it doesn’t taste good, just add salt.
You don’t have to live like this.
Bellybutton piercings are a bad idea.
Rain will make the flowers grow.
Let the dead be dead.
It’s okay to say no.

If you never ask, the answer will always be no.
Scholarships are always available.
People change.
Don’t be careless; just care less.
It’s okay to not be okay.
Remember to take care of yourself often.
Your body wants you alive even when you don’t want to be.
It’s okay to cry; breathe and count to ten.
Put your hand on your heart; you feel that? It’s beating.
{MS}

I took an English course last semester, where our teacher had us read the short story/poem "Girl" by Jamaica Kincaid. We were supposed to be inspired to write our own "Girl," or a list of all the things our mother, father, coach, aunt, etc. tells us. However, when I sat down to write about all the things my mother told me, I realized her words have done nothing but destroy me. Her words... they were corrupt and cold. And it hurt to think about them because it brought too many memories back. So, I took this assignment one step further and also wrote a "Girl" piece about all the things I needed someone to tell me. All the things I need to be telling myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment